I did this 4up painting exercise for several reasons:
- Improve my brush control. Printing every day develops muscle memory and skill.
- Reduce blank page anxiety, get out of my head, and kill the perfectionist by free hand painting.
- Practice with acrylic paints and get a better feel for mixing, blending, opacity, and dry time.
- Connect with the image world thru playful creation. (Lynda Barry)
- Repetition study, how doing the same step four times allows me to try slightly different things and see the results.
Below is the time-lapse of this exercise. I found it difficult to silence the inner critic and resist walking away mid-process. However, this is a helpful practice I need to do regularly.